Sunday, March 14, 2010

Craziest week ever!

This week has been so many things. CrAzY, exciting,busy, nerveracking, overwhelming, emotional, life changing, miraculous, fun, exhausting but definately memorable.


The week started off with Greg's Alumni Tournament which ended Friday night at 11pm.


Monday I was so busy running around getting donations for the prison trying to squeeze my clients in before the makeover started and then going to the high school to watch 5hours of basketball. Ditto to Tuesday and Wednesday.


Thursday was so nerve racking for me. I was so nervous about this project at the prison. I felt overwhelmed at first and then, it just felt right. Working at the prison was such a different experience. You get a sense of what prison life is like. You have NO freedom. You weren't allowed to bring ANYTHING in.... we did sneak in some chocolate friday (who says you can't?)


We thought we would just go in and whip this baby out. Put on a couple coats of paint and call it a day. Not so much! First of all, the actual process of coming into the jail takes so much time. You have to be cleared, make sure you have no electronics and walk in in groups, never alone. You can never be without a staff member. Which means, If you gotta go pee, you all go together with a guard, or let's say you need a screwdriver to open a paint can.... you have to go to a guard and check one out. And then check it back in. Or maybe you need some scissors to cut the vinyl lettering you're trying to stick to cinder blocks (which by the way isn't so easy!) you gotta check it out! We learned PATIENCE. Which was a good thing. You had to just learn that "It is what it is." I think I said that alot this week. It's not that big of a deal. Just breathe. And it'll be ok. We had many memorable "moments" there I can't write all. But there are some that just stay with you. Most of the inmates were moved to other parts of the prison as we worked, but there were a few who had to stay locked in thier cells. I remember painting a wall not 6 feet from a cell and every once in a while I could see this woman watching my progress. I just happened to look over and she was looking at me, just smiling and said with 2 thumbs up, " I love the purple." Four words, that's it, was enough to make me see how BIG this was for them. Another was a young inmate who overheard us discussing which 5 words we wanted to be the first words you see as you walk in. She jumped in and said, " I like Grace because you just don't feel graceful here. You forget it." We let her take over after that and I believe the final words were, "Hope, Confidence, Breathe and Grace". Then, at the reveal we showed them this gorgeous mural that's kind of hard to explain but it was a picture of a girl at diffent stages, different stages. And Marci, who's in charge asked them what they thought when they looked at it. Their responses were amazing. From, "I see color, I see change," to =,"I see hope, " and "I see that there are people who care about me." There wasn't a dry eye. There are so many more but those are some o my favorites.


We were able to have some women from the general population of the prison come and help us. At first, I was not nervous but maybe cautious and a little uncomfortable. And then, they changed us. They worked so hard. There was one in particular (the one who helped with the words) who was so beautiful, so young, and had such a soft, sweetness about her. I just wanted to go over, give her a hug (not allowed), and ask, Why? We did on Saturday minus the hug and realized that one mistake can change your life forever. She was a young, gorgeous, normal mommy to a little boy who made a bad decision. She's been there 3 months and hopes to get out soon. I can't stop thinking about her and her little boy. I had a really hard time when she and the others had to leave. My heart just broke! I knew where they were going and it just made me cry. I pray they can turn their lives around and never go back to where they are now. They forever changed my life.


I had the bestest team in the world to work with. First Natalie, my sister in law and Her Mom Vicki. They have helped in the past and I knew I could count on them. But this project was especially hard for them. Natalie's younger sister has been at that prison, she's out now but hopefully will be back as soon. I know that sounds weird to have me say that. But, she has a drug problem and for Natalie & Vicki they know that she's safe when she's there. It was hard for me to watch them. I was always worried it would be too much. But they stuck it out and I hope it was healing for them to help. Then there was my little sis Tina. Boy did we break her in! She just rolled with the punches and worked her guts out! The inmate I was talking about earlier seemed to really be drawn to her. They just hit it off. I was so proud of her and I'm so grateful that we got to share this experience! I'll remember it forever!


I know this is a long blog but I'm not done yet! Thursday afternoon my baby Brother Jake became a daddy! Natalie Charlize Nicoll was 7lbs 5oz and was 20 inches long. She is absolutely beautiful and I am so proud of Jake and Kapri! I love you guys! Congratulations!


1 comment:

Daniel & Shandi said...

awww...cute baby!

You need to relax, you are WAY too busy!

Blog Archive